Whynter BWR-1662SD is a single zone compressor cooled wine cooler with claimed 166 bottle capacity. Honestly you will have a hard time to actually fit 166 bottles inside but you should be able to fit over 130 which is still a lot. It’s equipped with R600a (1.06 oz.) refrigerant and allows you to adjust temperature from 40°F to 65°F (5°C to 18°C). Whynter BWR-1662SD is less expensive that units of this capacity usually go for so is it any good?
Whynter BWR-1662SD works well. It keeps you bottles at proper temperature without issues. Temperature control is accurate and seems to be pretty constant. Whynter BWR-1662SD is a bit noisy though, noisier than some other models (likely due to its large size) however it’s not so noisy you would actually describe it as loud. With that being said if you are looking for a very quiet wine cooler you might have to look for something more expensive.
Front ventilation allows this wine cooler to be built-in but you can also use it as a freestanding unit if you want to. For built-in installation you will need to leave at least 0.25’’ (6.35 mm) of free space on each side and top.
It is equipped with activated carbon filter and has double paned glass door for UV protection (which is something all wine coolers must have to maintain the quality of wine) with stainless steel handle. Door can be locked and it comes with 2 keys.
Shelves are made of thick metal wire with wood front. They are nice but they aren’t the nicest. They could have some side support to keep your mind at peace but even without one it’s unlikely a bottle will ever fall out. They are also a bit shallow which might cause you to scrape off labels off some bottles depending on size.
You can install display rack which sits at incline to showcase your most exclusive bottles but that slightly decreases overall storage capacity.
Control panel features LCD display that shows what temperature you have set (not the actual temperature in the chamber, there’s no thermometer) and 4 buttons:
- “Power” button: turns wine cooler on or off when held for 5 seconds.
- “Bulb” button: turns chamber light on/off when pressed or switches between Fahrenheit/Celsius temperature scales when held for 5 seconds.
- “Up” button: Increases temperature in 1 degree increments when pressed.
- “Down” button: Decreases temperature in 1 degree increments when pressed.
Whynter BWR-1662SD 166-bottle wine cooler consumes 1.3 kWh in 24 hours.
Size and weight
Whynter BWR-1662SD wine cooler weighs 278 pounds and measures 23.35 inches wide, 26.75 inches deep (28.5 inches including the handle) and 69 inches high.
Some consumers complained their Whynter BWR-1662SD arrived dented. Unfortunately during shipping appliances sometimes does get dented but that doesn’t happen most of the time.
Whynter BWR-1662SD works just fine as a wine cooler. It does have some flaws which may or may not be significant depending in what you are looking for but it’s relatively inexpensive for the capacity it offers. For the money it’s a pretty decent unit though.
Whynter BWR-1662SD 166-Bottle Wine Refrigerator/Cooler Specifications:
- Voltage/Frequency: 110-120V/60Hz
- Input supply: 120W
- Current: 2.0 Amp
- Refrigerant: R600a 1.06 oz.
- Temperature zones: 1
- Temperature range: 40°F to 65°F (5°C to 18°C)
- Power consumption: 1.3 kWh/24 hours
- Dimensions (W x D x H):
- Without handle: 23.35’’ x 26.75’’ x 69’’
- With handle: 23.35’’ x 28.5’’ x 69’’
- Built-in: 24” x 27” (+2” with handle) x 70”
- Shipping package: 26’’ x 30’’ x 76.5’’
- Manufacturers description: Black Whynter BWR-1662SD 166 Bottle Large Capacity Stainless Steel Compressor Wine Refrigerator/Cooler with Open Rack for Bottle Showcase and LED Display.
- UPC: 852749006603