Poulan Pro PR5020 is a gas chainsaw that’s equipped with 20-inch bar and chain. It has 50.2 cc engine that outputs 2.1 kw (2.8 horsepower) at 9,000 RPM. So what are Poulan Pro PR5020’s strengths and weaknesses?
Poulan Pro PR5020 is relatively inexpensive chainsaw and it cuts really well for one. It cuts 20-inch logs without any issues and decently fast too. A little bit more torque would be welcome but it doesn’t feel underpowered, it has enough power to handle 20-inch bar just fine. It’s a lot torquier than similarly priced Husqvarnas which makes sense since they are fitted with smaller guide bars. Just let the saw do its job and don’t force it into wood.
To put things in perspective Poulan Pro PR5020 can move its chain at 91.2 feet per second at no load and max RPM. Very few chainsaws can move their chain that fast even when we are talking about more expensive units. Chain speed isn’t the only factor that determines cutting performance but it’s one of them.
For a daily use you should get a more expensive and serious saw, but for occasional use Poulan Pro PR5020 is a really great performer.
Chain is not supposed to move when saw is idling (with chain brake disengaged), if it does it likely won’t idle correctly. If that’s the case idle speed requires adjustment (manual includes instructions how to do it on page 15). This is something many consumers have complained about but they just embarrassed themselves by thinking they are too smart for reading manual.
You should follow start-up procedure as dictated in manual otherwise you might have a hard time starting the chainsaw.
Before starting your chainsaw make sure chain is properly tightened and that there’s plenty of fuel and chain oil in it.
- Slowly press primer bulb 10 times.
- Pull out choke lever (tip: it’s of blue color)
- Place right foot in rear handle (Just like displayed in manual on first page).
- Pull starter rope sharply 5 times with your right hand.
- Push choke lever (blue color) to half choke.
- Pull starter rope until engine fires up.
- Allow engine to idle for 30 seconds to warm up. Slightly press throttle to normalize idle.
When you have finished using your chainsaw move red switch to “STOP” position to turn it off. If it’s already warmed up and you want to start it follow steps 1 to 6. Read manual carefully and if it indicates different procedure follow it instead.
─── Related Article: Best Electric Chainsaws (click here to read) ───
Chain/Guide Bar Oiler
Poulan Pro PR5020 has automatic chain/guide bar oiling system. It uses bar oil a bit more than usual but at least bar and chain is well oiled.
Poulan Pro PR5020 is a great chainsaw for occasional use if you use it properly. Not following the manual might cause problems like difficulty starting it up or engine not running properly however if you follow the manual you won’t experience such problems.
For a daily or professional use you should look for a more serious and expensive chainsaw however.
Poulan Pro PR5020 Specs:
- Type: Gas
- Bar length: 20 inches
- Chain speed: 91.2 feet per second / 27.8 meters per second (at no-load and max RPM)
- Chain pitch: 3/8”
- Thickness of drive links: 0.050” / 1,3 mm
- Weight: 13.0 lbs / 5.9 kg (without bar and chain and with empty tanks)
- Cylinder displacement: 50.2 сc
- Cylinder Bore: 44 mm
- Stroke: 33 mm
- Peak horsepower: 2.1 kw / 2.8 horsepower
- Idling RPM: 2,800 to 3,000
- Max RPM: 9,000
- Ignition system:
- Spark plug: Husqvarna HQT-1 or Brisk PR17YC
- Electrode gap: 0.6 mm
- Fuel and lubrication system:
- Fuel tank capacity: 425 mL / 14.3 oz
- Oil pump capacity: 13 ml/min @ 9,000 RPM
- Oil tank capacity: 295 mL / 9.9 oz
- Part model numbers:
- Replacement chain: 577180501
- Replacement bar: 589532101
- Spark plug: 587679203
- Flat file: 581562901
- Fuel/bar and chain oil cap: 952044640
- Scrench: 581562701