Husqvarna 460 Rancher is in interesting place within Husqvarna’s model lineup. It’s level above chainsaws designed for homeowners yet not quite professional grade heavy-duty chainsaw. It’s not a new model, in fact it has been around for a while – so is it outdated by modern standards or can it still be a legitimate choice over competitors?
Husqvarna 460 Rancher has 60.3 cc 2-stroke x-torq engine that outputs 3.62 horsepower at 9,000 RPM which allows chain to move at 65.6 feet per second.
Husqvarna 460 Rancher is sold with different configurations or simply put with different sized bars. It’s sold with either 18, 20 or 24 inch bar. This article is based on 460 Rancher with 20-inch bar but most of the things will apply to configurations with different size bar or at least give you general idea of what to expect.
As you might expect 460 Rancher is a beast. It cuts well and fast even through 20-24 inch diameter red oak or other hardwoods. It has all the power you will ever need as a homeowner.
There really isn’t anything more to say. It just cuts really well.
To start Husqvarna 460 Rancher you have to:
- Pull the choke out (which in turn also puts stop switch aka ignition on/off switch to on position)
- Press primer bulb a few times
- Press decompression lever (located on the top)
- Pull the recoil starter
- Once it fires up push the choke back in
It usually starts on first or second pull. Some consumers have complained about having trouble starting their units, not sure what’s the deal here, perhaps they received defective unit or are doing something wrong.
After you have finished cutting push down the stop switch (aka ignition on/off switch).
Husqvarna 460 Rancher has all the basic features you would expect like automatic chain oiler, inertia activated chain brake and automatic chain oiler. Oil tank capacity is 10.8 oz or 320 mililiters.
Husqvarna 460 Rancher also has other features including:
- LowVib system which is basically springs inside the housing of chainsaw which reduce vibrations.
- Side-mounted chain tensioning system which is simple to use but isn’t tool-less like with some other chainsaws .
- Adjustable oil flow. Recommended settings:
- Metal bucking spikes
Air filter and spark plugs are easy to access and remove.
Ease of use
Husqvarna 460 Rancher is relatively easy to handle for its size and power. It’s well balanced and weighs 12.8 lbs (without bar and chain and empty tanks) which isn’t heavy for chainsaw of this size.
Husqvarna 460 Rancher is a great chainsaw for homeowners who want something a bit more powerful and advanced. It cuts very well and is easy to use. Although it’s an older model it’s still every bit as good as modern units.
Husqvarna 460 Rancher Details/Specs:
- Bar length: 20 inches (also sold with 18 and 24 inch bars)
- Minimum recommended bar length: 13 inches
- Maximum recommended bar length: 24 inches
- Pitch: 3/8”
- Thickness of drive links: 0.050”
- Cylinder displacement: 60.3 сc
- Maximum saw chain speed: 20 meters per second (65.6 feet/second)
- Peak horsepower: 3.62 hp @ 9,000 RPM
- Fuel tank volume: 14.4 fl. oz. / 0.44 liters
- Oil tank volume: 10.8 fl. oz. / 0.32 liters
- Spark plug: NGK BPMR 7A / Champion RCJ 7Y
- Weight: 12.8 lbs (excluding bar and chain and with empty tanks)