EGO Power+ CS1400 is a battery powered 56-Volt chainsaw with 14-inch (you can also buy it with 16-inch) Oregon bar and chain with 3/8” chain pitch and 0.043” chain gauge. It has brushless motor that can rev up to 6,300 RPM. EGO claims that Power+ CS1400 has power and performance of a gas chainsaw but is it really the case?
So is EGO Power+ CS1400 as powerful as gas chainsaw? Not quite but it’s not too far off. It can still be described as quite powerful and it does cut pretty well. Surely, you won’t use it for downing super thick hardwood trees but it cuts most of the things a homeowner would need to just fine.
EGO Power+ CS1400 is great for cutting trees, pines or limbs with of thickness of up to 10-12 inches. Yes, it will take slightly longer than with a good gas chainsaw but the difference isn’t dramatic. It can handle thicker stuff too but the power difference compared to gas chainsaws becomes more pronounced.
It cuts trough wood less than 8 inches thick like hot knife through butter.
EGO Power+ CS1400 has toolless chain tensioning (chain tensioning knob lets you adjust chain in seconds), chain kickback brake handle, automatic lubrication (oiling) system, oil level window (but it’s not transparent enough making it hard to read), safety button – features you will find on most modern chainsaws.
Ease of use
EGO Power+ CS1400 is easy to handle and comfortable to use. It weighs just 8.29 pounds or 3.76 kilograms without a battery.
EGO Power+ CS1400 is compatible with all EGO POWER+ ARC Lithium™ batteries. Different kinds of batteries are available – the ones with less capacity will obviously run of juice quicker but they are also lighter making using chainsaw less laborious:
- 2.5Ah – Weight: 2.87 lbs / 1.3 kg – model: BA1400T/BA1400T-FC
- 5.0Ah – Weight: 4.96 lbs/ 2.25 kg – model: BA2800T/BA2800T-FC
- 7.5Ah – Weight: 6.39 lbs / 2.9 kg – model: BA4200T/BA4200T-FC
- 10.0Ah – Weight: 7.72 lbs / 3.5 kg – model: BA5600T/BA5600T-FC
All of the batteries have built-in LED indicators that display charge level or battery condition for 10 seconds after you press power button.:
- 5 LEDs shining green: Battery has 80-100% charge left
- 4 LEDs shining green: Battery has 60-79% charge left
- 3 LEDs shining green: Battery has 40-59% charge left
- 2 LEDs shining green: Battery has 20-39% charge left
- 1 LEDs shining green: Battery has 10-19% charge left
- 1 LEDs shining red: Battery has less than 10% charge left
- 5 LEDs flashing red: Battery is so depleted it’s outputting decreased voltage and should be charger immediately
- 5 LEDs shining red: Battery is overheating. Let it cool down below 152°F (67°C).
Advantages of electric chainsaw
Electric chainsaws still aren’t quite as powerful as gas chainsaws but they are catching up fast . The difference is small enough that they are powerful enough for most jobs other than heavy duty ones so you might argue that advantages of electric units outweigh the slight decrease in cutting performance.
Electric chainsaws are a lot less noisy, lighter, don’t require mixing oil with gas, turn on instantly and don’t emit fumes that are hazardous to your health. Despite the advantages some will still prefer gas chainsaws but EGO Power+ CS1400 surely has surprised many of those that have underestimated how far battery technology have advanced in the past few years.
And it will only keep advancing – don’t be surprised if within 10 years electric chainsaws will make gas ones obsolete.
For the money EGO Power+ CS1400 in undoubtly one of the best electric chainsaws you can buy. Yes, it’s a bit less powerful than gas chainsaws but it cuts very well nonetheless and makes up for small decrease in power in many other ways.
EGO Power+ CS1400 Details/Specs:
- Type: Electric (battery powered)
- System: 56-Volt
- Motor: Brushless
- Max RPM: 6,300 RPM
- Chain: 14-inch Oregon 90PX052X
- Guife bar: 14-inch Oregon 144MLEA041
- Oil tank capacity: 5 oz. (150 ml)
- Weight (without battery): 8.29 lbs (3.76 kg)
- Package contents:
- 1 x EGO Power+ CS1400 14-Inch 56-Volt Cordless Chainsaw